Away fans will not be allowed to attend the final two Premier League games of the season after top flight bosses were forced to reconsider their plans.
Under the government’s roadmap out of lockdown, up to 10,000 fans, or a quarter of a stadium’s capacity – whichever is lower – are expected to attend matches after May 17.
The Premier League has already agreed to reschedule the penultimate round of fixtures in order to enable every club to have fans at the last two fixtures.
Trials of the return of fans, including the Carabao Cup Final, at Wembley have gone well
Last week, clubs were also told to prepare for up to 500 away fans at those games.
However, a number of Premier League clubs said they would not be able to accommodate the visiting supporters and the plan has now been dropped.
Fans have had limited opportunity to attend games for over a year – home or away
In a statement released today, the Premier League said: ‘Following consultation with clubs, it was agreed matches would not be open to away supporters due to varying operational challenges across the League and the need to deliver a consistent approach, while maximising the opportunity for home-fan attendance.
‘The safety and security of supporters is of paramount importance. Clubs have a proven track record of providing Covid-safe environments and have operational plans in place ready to safely welcome supporters back to their stadiums.
‘Fans have been greatly missed at Premier League matches and this marks a key step towards full stadiums, including away fans, from the start of the 2021/22 season.’
The penultimate round of Premier League fixtures, match round 37, hs been delayed and will now be played on Tuesday 18 and Wednesday 19 May with the final matches of the season kicking off at 4pm on Sunday 23 May, as planned.
Away fans are set to make a return to the Premier League this season with up to 500 present