With Joshua taking care of his mandatory obligation in Kubrat Pulev in December, while Joe Joyce and Oleksandr Usyk look set to go head-to-head, the unified heavyweight champion is free to take on Fury in perhaps the biggest British fight of all time.
The bout, which will see the WBC, WBA, WBO and IBF belts all placed on the line, has been touted for several months now, with both parties voicing their desires to get it officially signed.
Joshua was initially reluctant to mention Fury’s name in the immediate aftermath of his knockout victory over Pulev, but he has since become more vocal about the impending fight, now insisting the fans will finally get what they want.
Anthony Joshua has revealed his unification bout with Tyson Fury will likely take place in June
Tyson Fury has not fought since his win over Deontay Wilder over a year ago in February 2020
‘June should be the date,’ Joshua said during a JD Sports live stream on Sunday. ‘Trust me. For the fans, for the people that have been calling it on for many, many months.
‘Shoutout to Fury and his team as well, hungry go-getters, that’s what we are. UK stand up. And to the world, we’re bringing it.
‘I can’t wait. Undisputed.’
Sportsmail reported in February that the two parties had exchanged the first draft of the fight contract, with only minor details to be resolved, including the order of the ring walks and who will appear first on the fight’s billing.
Fury raised fresh doubts over the fight last week, however, insisting the bout was no closer than it had been 12 months prior.
The undefeated 32-year-old cited the prevalent impacts of the coronavirus pandemic as a potential stumbling block.
Tyson Fury put in a career-best performance in a one-sided TKO victory over Deontay Wilder
‘They’ve had a full year to make something happen, and it hasn’t happened as of yet. We’re no further forward today than we were a year ago,’ he told ESPN.
‘The way (Covid-19) is at the moment, I don’t think (it has) got much to do with the fighters. It’s to do with the venue, date, place, site fees. It’s to do with everything but the fight itself.’
The reigning WBC champion also appeared dissatisfied with his preparation for the mega-fight, having not fought since his TKO win over Deontay Wilder now more than a year ago.
‘It was just a big mess-up. I should have boxed, because I’ve been so inactive. I’ve been out for over a year,’ he added.
‘By the time I fight again, looking at maybe June if this Joshua fight happens, that will be a year and six months out of the ring, which is not ideal preparation for any super-fight.
Though Fury seemed to be hinting that the negotiations were perhaps not as close to completion as once thought, Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn has said otherwise, assuring the fight is definitely on.
Anthony Joshua was highly impressive in his knockout victory over Kubrat Pulev in December
Eddie Hearn insists it will be Anthony Joshua who comes out victorious against Tyson Fury
‘Tyson Fury’s gonna get his wish. We are in, we are in,’ he told Boxing Social last week.
‘Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide. The undisputed king is going to be Anthony Joshua and this fight will happen.
‘This fight is on, trust me.’
The war of words between the two camps has since continued, with Fury’s father John sending a rather explicit, and clear, message in Hearn’s direction.
‘I don’t take your b******* mate,’ he told IFL TV. ‘Sign the document! You’ve got it in front of you, sign it. Because we know where you’re coming from.
‘Sign the f****** paper, and I don’t swear. The contracts are there, sign it. We are ready to go.’